Hiatus and the Hospital: Part 1

It certainly has been a stressful month at our house.  My mom has experienced a myriad of symptoms with her worsening dementia and I had been trying desperately to get her seen by a dementia specialist. He is booking months out. We are on a waiting list.

Last week my mom’s physical therapist wrapped up his session and told me that my mom reported to him that part of her vision in her good eye was obstructed.  He did not think it was a stroke. I called the ophthalmologist and we made an appointment for first thing the next morning.

It only took a minute in the exam room for the doctor to realize that something more ominous was happening. He sent us straight to the city to be seen by a retinal surgeon. He and his partner examined my mom and told me that she had massive hemorrhaging inside both her eyes. Massive.  And her retina was detached in one eye.

They determined that she had macular degeneration gone bad.  She had an eye exam with dilation 6 months ago and everything was fine. She has many underlying conditions that prevented immediate surgery from being an option. After a quick prep they injected both her eyes with a medication to stop the hemorrhaging. They injected a gas to push the blood away from the front of her eyes, where it was obstructing her vision. They also used a syringe to draw fluid out of her eyes. It was a garish procedure to watch and she was exhausted after nearly 4 hours in the office.  She was confused, scared and not really sure what was happening.

We made the trek home to wait. Time would tell if her eyesight would recover.

Three days later, my mom awoke with a bad headache, dizziness and nausea. I checked her oxygen level at home and it was low for her. Her pulse was very slow. I called the weekend physician line and they advised me to bring her to the ER.

In the ER it was immediately determined that her blood pressure was 220/87 with a pulse of 46. She never has high blood pressure.  They did an immediate CT scan of the head and determined there was no stroke. But they did not have a neurologist on staff and it could have been a cerebral event that they could not determine.

They reattached the blood pressure cuff and turned on the heart monitor. I pointed out that they put the cuff on upside down and backwards. A decision was made to send my mom to a hospital that had a neuro unit.

While being transported in the ambulance she suffered an unknown event which caused a complete psychological transformation and she was wheeled in yelling, combative and disoriented.  She tried to climb off the gurney. She pulled ID tags off the nurses. She pulled a stethoscope out of a pocket. She refused to agree to a CT with contrast or any testing at all. She claimed she was in a gas station.  She was finally given a medication to calm her down before she hurt herself and was wheeled away, still yelling that she needed to see their credentials.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>